DC Comics are celebrating their LGBTQIA+ characters and creators with an 80-page anthology comic, DC Pride, plus a wave of variant covers and new series from June.
DC Pride #1, out June 8, will feature LGBTQIA+ characters from all corners of DC’s ever-expanding Universe, including cameos by fan favorites Batwoman, Renee Montoya, Alan Scott, Midnighter, Apollo, Extraño, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Constantine, and more. The DC Pride creative teams, and the characters they’re developing stories for, are:
· Batwoman (Kate Kane) by James Tynion IV & Trung Le Nguyen
· Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn by Mariko Tamaki & Amy Reeder
· Midnighter by Steve Orlando & Stephen Byrne
· Flash of Earth-11 (Jess Chambers) by Danny Lore & Lisa Sterle
· Green Lantern (Alan Scott) & Obsidian by Sam Johns & Klaus Janson
· Aqualad (Jackson Hyde) by Andrew Wheeler & Luciano Vecchio
· Dreamer by Nicole Maines & Rachel Stott
· Renee Montoya by Vita Ayala and Skylar Patridge
· Pied Piper by Sina Grace, Ro Stein & Ted Brandt
DC Pride #1 will also include full-page profiles of DCTV’s LGBTQIA+ characters and the actors who play them, and fans of The CW’s Supergirl will see the first comic book appearance of Dreamer, a trans woman superhero, in a story written by actor Nicole Maines, who plays Nia Nal/Dreamer on Supergirl.
Rounding out the DC Pride anthology is a forward by Marc Andreyko (Love is Love), and single-page pin-ups by artists Kris Anka, Sophie Campbell, Mildred Louis, Travis Moore, Nick Robles and Kevin Wada, with more to come. The DC Pride #1 cover is by Jim Lee, Scott Williams and Tamra Bonvillain.
DC will also release a series of Pride-themed variant covers showcasing DC’s leading characters through the month of June, giving fans the opportunity to purchase comics featuring covers with Batman, Harley, Ivy, Superman, Wonder Woman, and more, all by cutting-edge comic book artists!
· Batman #109 Pride variant cover by Jen Bartel
· Crush & Lobo #1 Pride variant cover by Yoshi Yoshitani
· DC Pride #1 Pride variant cover by Jen Bartel
· Harley Quinn #4 Pride variant cover by Kris Anka
· Nightwing #81 Pride variant cover by Travis G. Moore
. Superman #32 Pride variant cover by David Talaski
· Teen Titans Academy #4 Pride variant cover by Stephen Byrne
· Wonder Girl #2 Pride variant cover by Kevin Wada
· Wonder Woman #774 Pride variant cover by Paulina Ganucheau
Out on June 1, is new series Crush & Lobo by Tamaki and Nahuelpan. Spinning out of the pages of Teen Titans Academy, the title will debut with a cover by Kris Anka, a Pride variant cover by Yoshi Yoshitani, a 1:25 ratio variant by Christian Ward, plus an exclusive Dan Hipp team variant for participating retailers.
In this new eight-issue miniseries, Crush, daughter of the Czarnian bounty hunter Lobo, is in full-on self-destruct mode! After rage-quitting the Teen Titans and blowing up her relationship with her girlfriend Katie, Crush decides it’s time to finally confront her father in space jail and get her baggage sorted before she wrecks everything. Like father, like daughter?
DC will also publish GLAAD Media Award-nominated Suicide Squad: Bad Blood by Tom Taylor (Injustice: Gods Among Us) and Bruno Redondo (Nightwing) on April 27,
DC’s gothic LGBTQIA+ romance Poison Ivy: Thorns by Kody Keplinger (The DUFF) and Sara Kipin on June 1, and Mariko Tamaki and Yoshi Yoshitani’s highly anticipated YA graphic novel, I Am Not Starfire, will publish on July 27 as part of the publisher’s overall Pride plans in 2021.